When people think of adopting or following a plant based diet, Walmart may not be the first grocery store that comes to mind. However, you’ll be pleasantly surprised to learn that in addition to a wide variety of “accidentally vegan” foods that are just coincidentally free of animal products, Walmart also now carries many vegan products aimed at replacing their animal product based counterparts.
To start with the accidentally vegan items, I’ll run through a list of my typical weekly groceries:
- Marketside organic Kale
- Marketside organic Spring mix
- Marketside spinach
- Romaine hearts
- Baby Bella mushrooms
- Bell pepper
- 3lb bags of apples (we prefer McIntosh or honeycrisp)
- Great value original soymilk (we actually prefer this to Silk)
- Smart balance buttery spread
- Silk yogurt cups
- Great value whole wheat bread
- Bakery sourdough loaves
- Bakery Italian sesame seed loaves (these are only $1 and are great sliced with olive oil and spice for dipping or toasted up as garlic bread)
- Corn and flour tortillas – I buy the Hispanic brands as they tend to be better quality and less expensive than Mission brand, for example
- Better made potato chips (shout out to this local Detroit company, many flavors are vegan, including Sour cream & onion)
- Great value thin wheat crackers
- Great value peanut butter (does contain palm oil for those who avoid it for ethical reasons)
- Sam’s choice Italia shaped pastas – the vast majority of these are vegan, but a couple include egg so please read labels
- Hunt’s garlic & herb pasta sauce
- Great value canned, dried, and fat free refried beans
- Great value canned diced tomatoes and tomato paste
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
And now, let’s talk about some of the vegan foods you may be surprised to find at Walmart:
Boca is best known for their vegan burger patties, but also make vegan chikn patties and burger style crumbles that are good in chili or bolognese sauce.
Morningstar farms products
Up until very recently, most of their vegetarian offerings contained egg and milk ingredients. Thankfully, they recognized the market demand for vegan offerings and have started phasing those ingredients out. As a result, we can now enjoy their chikn nuggets (popular with my two year olds), buffalo wings, and pulled pork.
Field roast products
Field roast is known for their high quality grain meats, and now you can get a decent variety of them at Walmart. Offerings include apple sage sausages, chao cheese slices, frozen mini corn dogs, and frozen buffalo wings.
A veteran in the meat substitute game, you can find their hickory smoked lunch meats and Italian sausage at Walmart. I love to crumble up the Italian sausage into the sauce for my vegan studded shell recipe.
That wraps up some of my favorite vegan finds at Walmart. I’d love to hear what your favorite finds are!
With a brand new baby at home, I’m thrilled to have such a wide variety of choices available to me through their grocery pickup service. It’s amazingly convenient with three little ones, and i highly recommend it!