Growing up in Ann Arbor, one of my favorite quick lunch spots was an Indian buffet called Earthen Jar. They offer a great variety of vegetarian and vegan options, but my favorite was always the Chana Masala. Since Ann Arbor is about an hour drive from home now, I decided to experiment to perfect a copycat recipe I could enjoy at home anytime.
Vegan Channa Masala
- 2 15oz Garbanzo beans Or 3 cups dried and cooked
- 2 15oz Cans diced tomatoes
- 2 8oz Cans tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 Onion Finely diced
- 2 Tbsp Garam masala
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 Tsp Mustard seed
- 1/2 Tsp Cardamom powder Or several whole pods and removed before serving
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Coriander
- 2 Green chiles Thinly sliced
- 2 Cups Basmati rice
- Cook basmati rice, I like to do mine in the instant pot with a 1:1.5 ratio of rice to water on the Rice setting.
- In a large stockpot, add vegetable oil and heat to medium heat and add garlic, ginger, chiles, onion, and asafoetida.
- Simmer for several minutes until onions are translucent, then add garbanzos, tomatoes and tomato paste. Simmer for several minutes until well combined.
- Add in all spices, and simmer for 15 minutes or so, stirring routinely.
- Serve over rice, optionally topping with fresh cilantro.