One of my favorite fall and winter meals prior to going vegan was tortilla soup. Traditionally made with chicken meat and/or broth, I was eager to veganize the recipe so I could continue to enjoy this tasty treat!
After many test runs of this recipe, I’ve perfected it to get a flavorful soup with just the right hint of spice. I make homemade baked tortilla chips to serve with mine to get that great crunchy texture. They are quick and easy to make, and are quite a bit healthier than the deep fried options available off the shelf.
I cook this in my Instant Pot in three cycles, but if you prefer to use canned beans rather than dried you can eliminate one of those cycles. You could also cook this stovetop if you don’t have an Instant Pot, but I’d recommend allowing several hours to simmer if going this route to allow the flavors to develop.
Vegan Mexican Tortilla Soup
- 2 peppers Chipotle in Adobo Sauce
- 2 15oz cans Diced tomatoes
- 2/3 cup Dried pinto beans
- 2/3 cup Dried black beans
- 1 cup Uncooked white rice
- 1 cup Frozen sweet corn
- 1 whole Onion
- 2 tbsp Minced garlic
- 1 packet Low sodium taco seasoning
- 2 tsp Ground coriander
- 1/2 cup Chopped fresh cilantro optional garnish
- 1 whole Diced avocado optional garnish
Step One: Cooking the beans
- Add dried pinto and black beans to Instant Pot and cover with water to the first fill line. Cook on high pressure for 40 minutes, release pressure, drain excess water, rinse with cool water, and return to Instant pot.
Step Two: Creating the soup base
- Add two cans of tomatoes, five tomato cans worth of water (roughly 80 ounces), frozen corn, taco seasoning packet, ground coriander, and diced onions and chipotle peppers. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes and release pressure.
Step Three: Add rice for final cooking phase
- Add uncooked white rice, and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Once complete, serve in bowls with homemade baked tortilla chips (see recipe below) and garnish with cilantro and avocado if desired.
The perfect crunchy complement to the tortilla soup are homemade baked tortilla chips. These are healthier, cheaper, and way tastier than store bought chips, and crisp up in just a couple minutes per batch.
Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips
- 12 corn tortillas
- 4 tbsp Vegetable oil
- Lime juice
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- Preheat oven to Broil on High setting (550 degrees fahrenheit).
- Cut each tortilla into four equal sized triangles, and spread on a non-stick cookie sheet. Brush with vegetable oil, and drizzle with lime juice.
- Broil on high for 5 minutes, rotating tray and flipping chips half way through cook time. This time may vary based on your oven, so keep an eye on them!
- Once golden brown and crisp, remove and sprinkle with sea salt.